[As appeared on The Star Tribune] Many individuals dream in their lifetime of the day they will be able to celebrate a milestone birthday, the precious moment they get to walk down the aisle, or the acceptance of a diploma. In life there are so many ups and downs and uncertainties, so what happens when something like a national pandemic hinders your special day?
Moving wedding plans, celebrating a 21st birthday from home, or not being able to schedule face to face time with your loved ones over the Holidays―these things can be discouraging and disheartening when all you want to do is gather with loved ones and celebrate monumental life moments.
Instead of getting discouraged, let’s be creative with the ways we choose to celebrate as times continue to change and seasons alter! Don’t let fear consume you to the point you feel you need to put life completely on hold. Remember most importantly, God is in control and significant moments like these deserve to be cherished and recognized. It may look different than the norm, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be just as memorable and just as celebratory!
Let’s celebrate not only the occasion but also the infinite number of ways and resources we have to communicate with others, and always serving a God who doesn’t change or alter when the seasons do. There is always a reason to spread His love and praise Him for what He’s doing and will do next.
Here are some of the ways our community around us has decided to celebrate in light of COVID-19 and for those who may just want a little extra pre-caution:
Birthday Celebration Ideas:
- Make a birthday video montage
- Pick up takeout from your favorite restaurant
- Create a birthday playlist of their favorite songs and send it to them
- Host a virtual Netflix Party with Chrome
- Plan a photoshoot
- Create a photo album of memories with Chatbooks and send it to them!
- Have an at home spa day
- Make desserts with the family
For one of our very own co-workers here at Christian Care Ministry, we wanted her to feel all the love on her special day! We surprised her with flowers, cards, cake, presents, and more and dropped them by her house. We were able to see one another face to face, share a smile and an air hug, and cherish the sweetest moments!
Holiday Celebration Ideas:
- Beach bonfire
- Virtual gift openings
- Fall decorating contest with the family
- Make pumpkin spice everything and send care packages to family and friends!
- Outdoor movie screenings
- Send your loved one your traditional holiday recipe and have them do the same! Make it together over FaceTime!
- drive-thru holiday light show
- Find creative ways to celebrate normal holiday traditions - don't focus on what you don't have but instead all the things that you do have!
Medi-Share continues to lift our communities in prayer as we all navigate these changing seasons!
It may not look like what we envisioned, but He knows the desires of our hearts and has a personal relationship with us more intricate than any other. He wants us to live life to the full and celebrate every moment of every day, despite what our surroundings look like!