By guest financial blogger, Bob Lotich
I am continually amazed at how relevant the Bible is to “modern” challenges that we face.
Though the technologies and methods may change, thousands of years ago people were still dealing with many of the same issues that we deal with today.
And, specifically in terms of business, God’s Word has some really detailed instruction for those of us who have the privilege of stewarding a business. In fact, there are many Bible verses for business to be found.
So whether you are a business owner, an employee of a business, or just buy stuff from businesses (that covers just about all of us – right?) there is some wisdom to be received from these scriptures.
10 Bible Verses for Business Owners
1. The Lord God took the m an and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. Genesis 2:15 NIV
2. Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and so that the slave born in your household and the foreigner living among you may be refreshed. – Exodus 23:12 NIV
3. Do not have two differing weights in your bag—one heavy, one light. Do not have two differing measures in your house—one large, one small. You must have accurate and honest weights and measures, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you. – Deuteronomy 25:13-15 NIV
4. They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, “Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed.” But I prayed, “Now strengthen my hands.” – Nehemiah 6:9 NIV
5. Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely, who conduct their affairs with justice. – Psalm 112:5 NIV
6. And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him. – Ephesians 6:9 NIV
7. The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty. – Proverbs 21:5 NIV
8. One who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and one who gives gifts to the rich -- both come to poverty. – Proverbs 22:16 NIV
9. Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. – Luke 16:10 NIV
10. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters . . . – Colossians 3:23 NIV
Remember, running our business according to God's Word is always the best path to take. Many times it is difficult as God's ways are likely to be the opposite of how the world does things, but it is always worth it.
If you are interested in more Bible verses that may relate to business, check out this list of scriptures that talk about money.
Do you know any other Bible verses about business that you want to add? Share your favorite scriptures for business owners in the comments below!!
Bob Lotich is a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, author of Managing Money God’s Way, the founder of the award-winning blog SeedTime.com, and a long-time Medi-Share member.